1. grandma mabey's orange rolls and hot cocoa
2. grandpa pouring grandma's hot cocoa on her plate while describing how large the cobb of the corn used to be (as big around as the rim of the cup...)
3. grandma's dream that she and grandpa were moving to a condo...but she was still weeding the garden in front of the house as they were saying goodbye to neighbors.
4. my great grandpa mabey loves tulips...so does grandpa mabey, and so do i
5. great grandma mabey was a "large-set" woman and a great teacher. she chopped wood and told great stories.
6. grandpa wouldn't give his farm days for anything. he's really good at thinning and topping sugar beats.
7. great grandpa mabey was slow to adjust to mechanical farming...the machines couldn't bail the hay as nice.
8. picturing grandma getting caught playing tic-tac-toe on the side of the red brick school building with white chalk by her uncle's girlfriend/school teacher.
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
1. "I'd rather be an old man's sweetheart than a young man's slave" - mary james stewart (my great-great gma)
2. grandpa mabey riding to heber in an old, black ford truck
3. mary james stewart had a laundry business and made her own soap
4. "uncle mark" giving little girl gma mabey a candy from his pocket every time he saw her
5. great-great Gpa hicken was a butcher...built a log cabin in Park City and then a red brick home in Heber.